Kelly IP Celebrates 10 Years of the Firm’s “Brand New World”
Aug 03, 2023
KELLY IP CELEBRATES 10 YEARS OF THE FIRM’S “BRAND NEW WORLD”
In just one decade, trademark boutique established as national powerhouse
WASHINGTON, D.C. (August 3, 2023) – Soon after Kelly IP launched in the spring of 2013, the firm was heralded as an “instant power” by Law360; this year, the firm reflects on its first decade as it commemorates its 10th anniversary.
Kelly IP was founded by Dave Kelly, Rob Litowitz, Linda McLeod, Stephanie Bald and Lynn Jordan, former colleagues at an international intellectual property law firm. These five lawyers shared a focus on trademark law and a vision of a firm that could deliver BigLaw expertise in a creative, results-driven setting.
Kelly IP has since tripled its attorney ranks, growing from five to 15, and adding a professional staff of 15. The firm has cleared, prosecuted, registered and enforced thousands of marks across diverse industries ranging from retail and entertainment to technology and manufacturing to pharmaceuticals and transportation. On the litigation side, Kelly IP lawyers have filed and litigated cases in federal district courts nationwide and defended and opposed thousands of marks before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Among the firm’s significant accomplishments:
– Obtaining an award of $19.2 million in statutory damages and a permanent injunction for Harley-Davidson in a contested case for trademark counterfeiting against a large online retailer and the first fame findings for the H-D and HD trademarks;
– Obtaining temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions to enforce AstraZeneca’s single-color “purple” trademark for its NEXIUM® heartburn medication against two generic pharma companies launching generic versions of NEXIUM®;
– Protecting an array of well-known marks at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, including favorable decisions for TINKERBELL, HARLEY, MILLENNIUM FALCON, the TRAVELERS Umbrella Logo, and AMERICAN UNIVERSITY;
– Enforcing American Eagle Outfitters’ trademark in its iconic back-pocket stitch design for its women’s jeans;
– Defending Philips against a multibillion-dollar trademark infringement claim, including obtaining dismissal of all damage claims on summary judgment and dismissal of all infringement claims following trial.
Kelly IP’s track record in high-stakes and high-profile work earned the young firm significant accolades across the legal profession in its first 10 years:
– Law360 named Kelly IP among its “10 Boutiques Giving BigLaw A Run For Its Money.”
– Managing Intellectual Property’s IP STARS recognized Kelly IP as one of only several national “Tier 1” firms, its highest ranking, in trademark categories for the past seven years.
– World Trademark Review 1000 ranked Kelly IP as one of only several “Gold” status national trademark firms, its highest ranking, for the past six years.
– Legal 500 recognized Kelly IP as one of only several national “Tier 1” firms, its highest ranking, for the past four years.
“Our success in our 10 years would not have been possible without our valued clients, colleagues, staff and others who have helped Kelly IP establish itself as a preeminent U.S. trademark law firm in such a short time,” said Founding Partner David Kelly. “We are honored to celebrate the first decade of Kelly IP, and we look forward to the next.”
About Kelly IP
Kelly IP, LLP focuses on litigation and counseling in trademark, unfair competition, false advertising, right-of-publicity, copyright, design protection, anti-counterfeiting, licensing, and Internet and domain name matters. Its attorneys have been consistently recognized by peers and legal publications as leaders in their fields. Kelly IP is committed to providing sophisticated legal representation with a commitment to quality and cost effectiveness. For more information: http://www.kelly-ip.com/.